Thursday, May 29, 2014

New Imaging Gear....QHY23M, First Light

Received my new QHY23M on May 22,2014 and finally had a chance to use it over the weekend. I started on M27, M57 & M16 on the 24th and added subs on the 25th.


                                                 M27 The Dumbbell Nebula

3x600s Luminance
3x600 Red
3x600 Green
3x600 Blue
6x600 Ha (2x2 bin)

Camera: QHY23M
Telescope: Celestron 11" Edge HD @ F/7
Mount: CGEM-DX
This was my first target, I figured the camera/telescope combination would produce a good sized image..... I wasn't disappointed. I'm currently limited to 10 minute subs, so I binned the Ha. I'm slowly getting used to the new CGEM-DX mount.
 This was the Dumbbell Nebula taken with my 102mm refractor and QHY9M last year. Quite the difference in field of view!




                                               M16 The Eagle Nebula


The Eagle Nebula is one of my favorite targets. Due to it's location in the sky and where I decided to set up my equipment, I only had about an hour to image it. So again I binned the subs and shot a single exposure through each of the three narrowband filters.

Ha- 1x600(2x2 bin)
OIII- 1x600(2x2 bin)
SII- 1x600(2x2 bin)

Camera: QHY23M
Telescope: Celestron 11" Edge HD @ F/7
Mount: CGEM-DX



                                     M57 The Ring Nebula



3x300 Red
3x300 Green
3x300 Blue
4x600 Ha (2x2 bin)

Camera: QHY23M
Telescope: Celestron 11" Edge HD @ F/7
Mount: CGEM-DX

I managed to capture some of the outer shell of this ancient supernova explosion. This image far exceeds anything I"ve ever captured before in detail and especially, object size. Below is M57 taken last year with the 102mm and QHY9M.


All of these images need more sub-exposures and attention, I was just excited about "first light" with the QHY23M. Even despite the lack of enough sub frames in all of these images, I'm quite happy with the QHY23 so far. None of the above images have dark frames applied, yet noise is almost non-existent. The sensitivity is amazing. The only problems I had were with the mount, mostly operator error, as I'm slowly learning how to handle a longer focal length. I can't wait until the next clear night!

No comments:

Post a Comment